Saturday, February 7, 2009

AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL MOMENTS OF LEARNING IN MY LIFE: A DIGITAL/COMPUTERIZED STORY

The First Teacher In My Life: This photograph is of my mother-she is the first teacher that I ever encountered in my life. I am so proud of the things that she has taught me. Even though she only went to grade ten, she instilled in me the importance of staying in school and getting an education. Primarily, that is, to get anywhere in life you need to be educated, not only in mind, but also in spirit. My mom also taught me, how crucial it is to love others the way I would want them to love me. In addition to this, she instructed me on the signficance of becoming the best person that I can ever be. That is, if I leave this earth by impacting at least one soul, by the things that I have taught them. The way that my mother taught me, I will be a better person because of her teaching.
Unconditional Love: My youngest daughter loves her dad and I very much. However, you must be asking yourself, "Ya, but every little girl loves her parents that's nothing new." What is different about my daughter is that two years ago her dad and I split up after being married for 20 years. Although at the time she was absolutely devastated by the divorce, she never hated either one of us for our actions that lead to the break up of our marriage. She just continued to love both her dad and I as she always had. In fact, she used to say to me "Mom don't worry I love you no matter what, and always will." Although, my daughter is only 12 years old, she is wise beyond her years, because she taught me what unconditional love really is, and for that I will always love her.
Always Strive To Do Your Very Best: My daughter has taught me many things since she was born 24 years ago. However, nothing has impacted my life more than the way she strived for perfection in terms of her education. You see, my daughter has severe dyslexia and reading and writing have always been a difficult task for her. Somehow it did not seem to stop her from striving to do her absolute best. Not only did she finish elementary and high school, but she went on to post-secondary education by getting her B.A. in Social Work from McGill University in May of 2008. She also was instrumental in getting me to go back to school. My daughter taught me that if you work hard anything is possible.
The Epitomy Of Success: This picture of the Faculty of Arts at McGill University epitomizes success to me. I am not just saying this because I have been a student at McGill for three years now, but it is something that I believed in long before I started there. I can remember when I was a young woman, and I felt that it was important to go to university. Everytime I passed this institution when I was downtown, I was conscious of the great regret I had for not attending university. However, my life had taken a different path and one that did not include McGill Unversity at the time. Many years later after I had become a mother, I knew that I needed to instill values in my own children about education. I felt that it was important that I go back to school and become that example that epitomized success. So, McGill symbolized to me that education was important-just the way I felt, and finally I acted upon that belief. I believe that what I learned by seeing this building, was that it taught me a valuable life lesson. That I needed to go back to school, and I did at age forty-one, and today I am very proud of myself for doing so.
Standing Up For What You Believe In: My seventeen year old son has taught me a lot about standing up for what you believe in. Even if it is something that is a social justice issue like gay rights. He has taught me that you should never give up and always believe in yourself no matter what-and even if it may make life difficult for you. Never comprise who you are for anyone. My son has educated me on what it is like to be a gay man in the 21st century. That is, there are difficulties he faces, but knows if he continues to educate people, by understanding what it is like to be gay, people will acquire more empathy and acceptance for such individuals. It is my hope that more people will learn from young men like my son. Thus, making the world a much better and safer place for everyone. First and foremost I love my son for who is, and always will. He has taught me a valuable life lesson to stand for who you are no matter what.
Learning From My Mentor: This is a picture of my cooperating teacher and I, from my third field experience (August - December, 2008). Although this is primarily an example of my learning in the classroom, I also learned a great deal from this woman outside of the classroom. She taught me the importance of perseverence. This extended stage was difficult for me. She often would talk to me outside of the classroom, to help me better understand and learn from the things I would teach in the classroom. She taught me that no teacher is perfect and that everyone makes mistakes. More importantly that we can learn from those mistakes, and I most definitely did. As a result of her being an incredible mentor to me outside of the classroom!
My Computer-My Technological Teacher: There is a whole hive of information that we can learn from using a computer. I have had a computer for many years, but have not used it to the extent that I have since I started at McGill University. The things that I have learned to do as a result of attending unversity, and using my computer more is incredible! I can access so much information on my computer that I can not live without it. To the extent that I bought a new computer this summer. My computer is like a technological teacher, because it teaches me so many things everyday. For example I have learned a lot by accessing the world wide web through my computer. I have also learned how to create blogs, and how to create videos from my computer. I definitely can not live without this piece of technology that has taught me so much.
My Wake-Up Teacher: Just like I can not live without my computer, I can not live without my radio. This piece of techology is one of the most important parts of the start of my day. Every morning between 5:30 and 6:00 I turn it on to find out what is happening in the world, and in the city in which I live in. Every day I need to know the news and the weather. It too, is a form of technological teacher, because I learn from it every day when I turn it on. I learn about current events, news, weather and the latest music to hit the air waves!
Learning Through Relaxation: My television teaches me many things, most importantly through relaxation. I often turn on my T.V. just before I go to bed every night. I am usually tired after a long day at school and spending time with my children at home. I enjoy watching shows on TLC because the kind of shows that you see on this station teach you a lot about life. The one thing that I find I learn from my T.V. the most, is watching the 11:00 P.M. news. By watching the 11:00 P.M. news, my T.V. teaches me about what is happening around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment