Monday, January 19, 2009

SOCIAL JUSTICE: GAY RIGHTS IN THE 21ST CENTURY

Gay rights are about treating people with respect regardless of their sexual orientation. This is a particular sensitive issue to me because my 17 year old son is gay. I love him more than life itself. I cannot image him being any other way than the way he is now. I am so incredibly proud of him. When he was just 15 years old he spoke at a public speaking contest at his high school and "came out" telling the entire school population that he was gay. His principal told him that some students would embrace him and others would hate him. I have to say that he experienced both, but has become a stronger man and amazing human being as a result of his actions. I will always love him for his courage-for standing up for what he knows is true and just.

Gay rights are about equality, it should not matter what your sexual orientation is. People are people. We all should be treated with respect. We should love others as we would want others to love us. Embracing differences in people and telling them that you love them for who they are, can send a very powerful message of self-respect and encouragement.

My son loved this image that says "Marriage is a Human Right: Not a Heterosexual Privilege." He told me that he would love to have a t-shirt with this printed on it. Too many people look at the fact that someone is marrying someone of the same sex. Rather than, the fact that they are marrying someone who they will love and cherish for their entire life. I think it is very sad that as a society we hate people because of the things that they stand for, even if it is because they are gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment